They were each given the rank of a Prime and were addressed as such.
Primus and Unicron were created by a being known as the One splitting in two. They began to explore the universe, but unfortunately became divided and began to battle each other. However, as twins they were perfectly matched and neither held an advantage for long. Knowing Unicron had to be stopped, Primus created the Thirteen, combining elements of himself and Unicron, to allow for more varied attacks to stop the Chaos Bringer. The Thirteen defeated him, but at the cost of taking a seed of darkness into themselves.
Knowing that one day more Cybertronians would emerge, they established a small city and began working on government. However, as with Primus and Unicron, Prima and Megatronus often clashed. The group began to divide into factions with Liege Maximo creating war beasts in the interim. Eventually all their secrets were discovered and they fought amongst each other. Several perished as a result, while many of the others departed from Cybertron, leaving Alpha Trion and a few others to help guide the developing Cybertronian society. In time Alpha would be the last Prime to remain on Cybertron, while his surviving brethren like Nexus Prime and Alchemist Prime departed on various self-appointed missions.
After the events of Predacons Rising, it was revealed in Decepticon Island, Part 1 that Optimus was saved by the Primes before his spark could've been extinguished and joined six of his brethren in the Realm of the Primes, which is a mystical plane of existence. Here he trained in preparation to face the threat of Megatronus, who was preparing to destroy both Earth and Cybertron. After undergoing this training for some time, though not enough in the opinion of his brethren, the other six Primes empowered him with portions of their own Sparks to allow him to travel to Earth and challenge Megatronus. Weeks after Megatronus's defeat at the beginning of Overloaded, Part 1, where Micronus Prime had to take the powers that were given to Optimus away back to the other Primes.
Each led a different life following the War of the Primes:
- Prima led the early Cybertronians and is thought to have died in the Great Cataclysm.
- Vector Prime left to travel throughout both space and time.
- Alpha Trion led the early Cybertronians through their beginning to the Great War and died after the Decepticons' attack on Iacon.
- Solus Prime was murdered by Megatronus, an act that made him rename himself "The Fallen", with her body melting away into the surface of Cybertron, opening a channel to the deep core of Primus himself at the center of the planet, now known as the Well of Allsparks.
- Micronus Prime merged with Primus and would later go on to mentor Optimus Prime.
- Alchemist Prime left to travel the stars.
- Nexus Prime split into five lesser bots to protect the five pieces of the Blades of Time which could grant access to Vector Prime's dimension.
- Onyx Prime merged with Primus.
- Amalgamous Prime left to travel the stars. He lost his T-Cog and it slowly gave many Cybertronians amazing transformation skills but at the cost that they were merging into one being.
- Quintus Prime left to create the Quintessons and it is believed he died shortly after teaching them how to make more Quintessons.
- Liege Maximo was torn apart and decapitated and was buried in a poorly built tomb inside the Thirteen's old city. His arm would be used by Megatron to harness the power of the Primes.
- Megatronus Prime murdered Solus Prime, leading to his being renamed "The Fallen". This led to his exile from Cybertron, which he subsequently sought to destroy along with Earth.
- Optimus Prime chose to be reincarnated as Orion Pax to better understand the lesser Cybertronians and eventually fought in the Great War, sacrificing his life to restore the AllSpark for new life on Cybertron.
When creating new life on Cybertron, all humanoid-looking Cybertronians were modeled after two members of Thirteen adopting similar certain mental and physical characteristics. Alpha Trion believed Megatron was modeled after Megatronus.
- Prima - Leader, Warrior of Light (Offline)
- Vector Prime - Warrior, Interdimensional Traveler
- Alpha Trion - Strategist, Historian (Offline)
- Solus Prime - Free Agent, Artificer (Offline)
- Micronus Prime - Strategist, Catalyst, First Mini-Con
- Alchemist Prime - Free Agent, Elemental
- Nexus Prime - Free Agent, First Combiner, Wizard of Forms
- Onyx Prime - Spirit Warrior, First Predacon
- Amalgamous Prime - Warrior, First Shifter
- Quintus Prime - Strategist, Experimental Dreamer
- Liege Maximo - Strategist, Manipulator
- Megatronus Prime/Megatronus/The Fallen - Warrior of Darkness (Presumably offline)
- Sentinel Zeta Prime - Warrior, Leader, Caste System Creator (Offline)
- Orion Pax/Optimus/Optimus Prime - Free Agent, Warrior, Visionary (Online)
- Nemesis Prime - Warrior, MECH Creation (Offline)
- On Dec. 10, 2013, Transformers: The Covenant of Primus will reveal the origins of the Thirteen.
- Alpha Trion, Megatronus/The Fallen, Liege Maximo and Prima are the only of the Thirteen to not contain the word "Prime" in their names.
- It is possible the word of Prime was derived originally from the name of Prima, thus Prima can be consider having an altered version of it as his name. However, it is also likely that the term was also possibly derived from Primus.
- Alpha Trion is the only one of the Thirteen, except Optimus, to appear outside of flashbacks.
- This is the first apperance of the Thirteen in any fiction. While Vector Prime appeared in Transformers: Cybertron he was never outright called a member of the Thirteen. They would appear at little over a year later in the IDW comics, inspired by their counterparts in the Aligned continuity. So far eight have been confirmed: Prima, Megatronus, Nexus, Solus, Alpha, Maximo, Onyx and Alchemist. The Facebook page Ask Vector Prime and other media indicate that not all the characters presented as members of the Thirteen in the Aligned continuity are members in every continuity.
- The history of the Thirteen differs on the piece of media presenting it, specifically regarding the Fallen. The novels suggest he and Maximo acted as Megatron and Starscream to the Thirteen and he murdered Solus Prime after a failed attempt to recruit her. Indeed Alpha Trion often voices his contempt for Megatronus and Nexus Prime was sent into a blind rage when he mistook Megatron for his ancestor. The Covenant portrays Liege Maximo as the one who betrayed the Primes and manipulated the love between the Fallen and Solus. Robots in Disguise depicts him more closely to the novels and second film, but adds that he was banished from the known universe by his fellow Primes and sought revenge on both Cybertron and Earth.
|The Thirteen Original Primes|
| Prima | Vector | Alpha Trion | Solus | Micronus | Alchemist | Nexus | Onyx | Amalgamous | Quintus | Liege Maximo | Megatronus/The Fallen | Thirteen (Optimus Prime/Orion Pax)
|Sentinel Zeta Prime|
|Autobots | Decepticons | Primus | Unicron | Prime | Well of Allsparks | Cybertron|