Prime is a rank that is the highest possible distinction on Cybertron. The original had their power flowing through their very CNA. Currently their power is something that is bestowed only to those that carry the Matrix of Leadership.
According to Smokescreen, many on Cybertron wish to become Primes. Optimus Prime almost made Smokescreen a Prime and almost passed down the Matrix to Smokescreen when Optimus was severely damaged under the base's destruction. It all changed when Smokescreen used the Forge to restore Optimus in a new body.
When Optimus merged the AllSpark with the Matrix, and thus his spark, he willingly flew into Cybertron's core sacrificing himself so that life could flourish on Cybertron once more.
- Prima (unknown presumed deceased)
- Megatronus Prime (presumed deceased)
- Alpha Trion (one with the AllSpark)
- Vector Prime (unknown)
- Quintus Prime (unknown presumed deceased)
- Nexus Prime (unknown)
- Solus Prime (deceased)
- Liege Maximo (deceased)
- Alchemist Prime (unknown)
- Amalgamous Prime (unknown)
- Onyx Prime (merged with Primus)
- Micronus Prime (one with the AllSpark in the Realm of the Primes)
- Sentinel Zeta Prime (deceased)
- Optimus Prime (currently)
- Before the line ended, Smokescreen was Optimus' and Alpha Trion's first choice to inherit the Matrix, while Smokescreen himself felt Bumblebee was better suited.
- When someone is selected as a Prime, they have the title Prime as a last name. For example, Orion Pax became Optimus Prime when he was given the Matrix and selected to be a Prime.
- There is a misconception where The Matrix is a requirement in becoming a Prime despite in Transformers: War for Cybertron, it was proven that it was the Autobot High Council's job in choosing a Prime to lead. This was how Optimus Prime and Zeta Prime received their ranks.
- Optimus said that his team acted like true Primes, with or without the Matrix of Leadership.