The Decepticons are a group of Cybertronians, whose main goal was to bring about change on Cybertron due to the Caste system and return to the empire-building, space faring ways of their ancestors. The name "Decepticon" comes from the fact that pre-war propaganda by the High Council labeled them as liars and thieves. They took the name as a badge of honor instead. In their minds if speaking the truth was a deception, they were gladly guilty.
The Decepticons were a Kaonian movement started by a miner named Megatron to bring a new world order on Cybertron, with him as their leader. The majority of the Decepticons were originally low-ranking members of society such as miners but some were members of higher castes craving more power such as Ratbat. They held similar goals to the Iaconian movement of the Autobots but differed on how to obtain them. When Megatron was denied the Matrix of Leadership and the rank of Prime, he ordered his followers to fight and take over Cybertron by force. In the war, there ideals quickly became corrupted and they became almost completely amoral, willing to seize power by any means available. This led them to Dark Energon which caused the core of Cybertron to shut down. The Decepticons, like the Autobots, took to the stars continuing their war across the galaxy.
After Bumblebee killed Megatron, the Decepticons were left in complete disarray and the losers of the Great War. After the defeat of Unicron, Megatron abandoned the Decepticon cause and exiled himself, while his command staff either defected or went missing. It is likely that other Decepticons still exist on Cyberton and in the galaxy.
Despite their break up by the reformed Megatron in the prequel, some Decepticons still choose to continue with their villainous cause. Notably Steeljaw, who seeks to reunite the Decepticons under his command at Earth.
The earliest Decepticon members were gladiators such as Blackout, Lugnut, Drixco, and Barricade. Shockwave was a scientist who join the Decepticons and served as Megatron's chief Scientist and Second-in-Command. Soundwave and his Mini-cons (Laserbeak, Ravage, Rumble, Frenzy) were also part of the first Decepticons. It is unknown when during the Great War Breakdown, Knock Out, Airachnid, Makeshift, Headstrong, Rampage, and Tantrum, all joined the faction. Axer had left Cybertron shortly after Orion Pax was said to be a Prime by the High Council, but sort of joined them when the Nemesis arrived at the planet Junkion. During the Events of War for Cybertron, Starscream and many of the Seekers (perhaps even Skyquake and Dreadwing) joined the Decepticons. Starscream then or a while later was promoted to the new Second-In-Command. Ratbat and Contrail either joined the Decepticons or were confirmed as Decepticons when The High Council nominated Orion Pax as the Next Prime. The Combaticons and Constructicons were built before the War for Cybertron events. The Insecticons join the Decepticons during Rise of the Dark Spark, before Fall of Cybertron.
List of Decepticons
- Megatron - Former Leader (Last seen on Cybertron)
- Soundwave - Chief Communications Officer and Spymaster (Trapped In Shadowzone)
- Shockwave - Chief Scientist; Commander (Formerly); (Last seen on Cybertron)
- Airachnid - Assassin/Commander/Rouge (Last seen on one of Cybertron's moons as a Terrorcon vampire)
- Knock Out - Medic (Formerly, Last seen on Cybertron)
- Optimus Prime - Records Clerk (Briefly, Last seen on Cybertron)
- Lugnut - Warrior (Last seen before Earth Arrival)
- Makeshift - Infiltrator (Deceased)
- Headstrong - Warrior (Last seen before Earth Arrival)
- Rampage - Warrior (Last seen before Earth Arrival)
- Tantrum - Warrior
- Starscream - Air Commander/Commander, (Former Rouge, Briefly Leader)
- Thundercracker - Scientist (Deceased)
- Skywarp - Scout (Deceased)
- Thrust - Warrior
- Dirge - Warrior
- Ramjet - Warrior (Deceased)
- Slipstream - Stalker (Last seen on Junkion when it exploded)
- Hotlink - Mechatronic Engineer (Deceased, eaten by Sharkticons)
- Steeljaw - New Decepticon leader (trapped on Earth)
- Contrail - Former Council Member (Last seen on Cybertron)
- Nacelle - Warrior (Last seen on Cybertron)
- Bitstream - Decepticon Information Engineer (Last seen on Cybertron)
- Skyquake - Warrior (Terrorcon trapped in Shadowzone)
- Dreadwing - Seeker Captain; Commander (Formerly) (Deceased)
- Bruticus - Combined Form/Warrior (Last seen on Cybertron, unknown)
- Onslaught - Combaticon Leader
- Blast Off - Space Warrior (Deceased)
- Vortex - Interrogator
- Swindle - Munitions Expert
- Brawl - Ground Assault
- Devastator - Combined Form/Warrior (Last seen on Cybertron)
- Scavenger - Mining & Salvage (Last seen on Cybertron)
- Scrapper - Construction Engineer/Constucticon Leader (Last seen on Cybertron)
- Hook - Surgical Engineer (Last seen on Cybertron)
- Long - Transport (Last seen on Cybertron)
- Bonecrusher - Demolitions (Last seen on Cybertron)
- Mixmaster - Materials Fabrication (Last seen on Cybertron)
- Frontloader - Warrior (Last seen on Cybertron)
- Menasor - Combined Form/Super Warrior
- Motormaster - Stunticon Leader (Last seen on Cybertron)
- Dead End - Scout (Last seen on Cybertron)
- Dragstrip - Scout (Last seen on Cybertron)
- Wildrider - Terrorist (Toyline Character)
- Breakdown - Scout (Formerly)/Soldier; (Deceased)
- Predaking - Predacon Leader (Last seen on Cybertron)
- Grimwing (Toyline Character)
- Lazerback (Toyline Character)
- Skystalker (Toyline Character)
- Ripclaw (Toyline Character)
- Darksteel (Last seen on Cybertron)
- Skylynx (Last seen on Cybertron)
- Vertebreak (Toyline Character)
- Cindersaur (Toyline Character)
- Ser-Ket (Deceased)
- Backbite (Trapped in Bunker)
- Tantrum - Warrior
- Sharpshot - Insecticon Leader/Electronic Warfare (Deceased)
- Kickback - Espionage (Deceased)
- Hardshell - Psychological Warfare (Deceased, killed by Miko)
- Bombshock - Warrior (Deceased)
- Rumble - Demolitions (Last seen on the Nemesis)
- Frenzy - Warrior (Last seen on the Nemesis)
- Ravage - Saboteur (Last seen on The Nemesis)
- Ratbat - Former Council Member (Last seen on Cybertron)
- Laserbeak - Interrogator (Trapped in Shadowzone)
- Buzzsaw - Spy (Toyline Character)
- Demolisher - Gladiator (DLC Character, Unlockable Character)
- Cyclonus - Warrior (Last seen on Cybertron)
- Barricade - Scout (Last seen on Cybertron)
- Blackout - Warrior (Deceased)
- Axer - Bounty Hunter (Formerly, became a member of the Star Seekers)
- Thunderwing - Formerly (Deceased)
- Autoclave - Scientist (Last seen on Cybertron)
- Drixco - Gladiator (Deceased)
- Catalycon - Scientist (Deceased)
- Bludgeon (Toyline Character)
- Trypticon - (Became the Nemesis)
- The Decepticons show up in most Transformers genre as the antagonists. They also show up in the live action movies as the antagonists.
- The Decepticons are led by Megatron. In most series, Megatron would die but would also come back to life in a new body or his old body.
- The Decepticons mostly speak English but they can speak Cybertronian in their conversations.
- The Autobots are their true enemies.
- This is their first incarnation in which the faction is disbanded.
- This is the first incarnation of the faction that has generics make up the majority of their army. The main characters in this series act as supervisors, officers or commanders.
- Robots in Disguise reveals that the Decepticons in the sequel are prisoners who crash landed answering some of the bizarre questions as to how they got there. Though further information will be given when this series airs.
- The Decepticon prisoners resemble various animals than humanoid forms, as they have vehicle altmodes, far more different from the ones in Prime, where almost every Decepticon had a humanoid robot form.
- Fixit states that several equals a couple hundred causing people to wonder why it was a good idea to put so many prisoners in one ship alone.
Main Article: Decepticon Gallery
|Airachnid | Breakdown | Dreadwing | Makeshift | Megatron | Knock Out | Shockwave | Skyquake | Soundwave | Starscream|
|Vehicon (Decepticon Miner) | Insecticon | Terrorcon|
|Hardshell | Laserbeak|