The Decepticons were a Kaonian movement started by a miner named Megatron to bring a new world order on Cybertron, with him as their leader. The majority of the Decepticons were originally low-ranking members of society such as miners but some were members of higher castes craving more power such as Ratbat. They held similar goals to the Iaconian movement of the Autobots but differed on how to obtain them. When Megatron was denied the Matrix of Leadership and the rank of Prime, he ordered his followers to fight and take over Cybertron by force. In the war, there ideals quickly became corrupted and they became almost completely amoral, willing to seize power by any means available. This led them to Dark Energon which caused the core of Cybertron to shut down. The Decepticons, like the Autobots, took to the stars continuing their war across the galaxy.
After Bumblebee killed Megatron, the Decepticons were left in complete disarray and the losers of the Great War. After the defeat of Unicron, Megatron abandoned the Decepticon cause and exiled himself, while his command staff either defected or went missing. It is likely that other Decepticons still exist on Cyberton and in the galaxy.
In his self-imposed exile after being freed from Unicron, Megatron noted his mistake of turning the Decepticons into an army. He recalled that before the war, the people of Cybertron supported him and that this inflated his ego to the point that he thought he had to seize power to look good in the media's eyes. Seeing how his carnage has destroyed Cybertron, killed billions, brought chaos to other worlds and left him with nothing, he rededicated himself to peace and helping other worlds, hoping that one day the Decepticons could return to their noble roots.
The earliest Decepticon members were gladiators such as Blackout, Lugnut, Drixco, and Barricade. Shockwave was a scientist who join the Decepticons and served as Megatron's chief Scientist and Second-in-Command. Soundwave and his Mini-cons (Laserbeak, Ravage, Rumble, Frenzy) were also part of the first Decepticons. It is unknown when during the Great War Breakdown, Knock Out, Airachnid, Makeshift, Headstrong, Rampage, and Tantrum, all joined the faction. Axer had left Cybertron shortly after Orion Pax was said to be a Prime by the High Council, but sort of joined them when the Nemesis arrived at the planet Junkion. During the Events of War for Cybertron, Starscream and many of the Seekers (perhaps even Skyquake and Dreadwing) joined the Decepticons. Starscream then or a while later was promoted to the new Second-In-Command. Ratbat and Contrail either joined the Decepticons or were confirmed as decepticons when The High Council Nominated Orion Pax as the Next Prime. The Combaticons and Constructicons were built before the War for Cybertron events. The Insecticons join the Decepticons during Rise of the Dark Spark, before Fall of Cybertron.
- Megatron - Leader, Formerly
- Knock Out - Formerly
- Airachnid (Undead) - Formerly
- Orion Pax - Formerly, Briefly
- Starscream (Deceased)
- Thundercracker (Deceased)
- Skywarp (Deceased)
- Ramjet (Deceased)
- Hotlink (Deceased)
- Skyquake (Deceased)
- Dreadwing (Deceased)
- Predaking - Formerly, Leader
- Ser-Ket (Deceased)
- Blackout (Deceased)
- Axer - Formerly
- Thunderwing (Deceased) - Formerly
- Drixco (Deceased)
- Catalycon (Deceased)
- The Decepticons show up in most Transformers genre as the antagonists. They also show up in the live action movies as the antagonists.
- The Decepticons are led by Megatron. In most series, Megatron would die but would also come back to life in a new body or his old body.
- The Decepticons mostly speak English but they can speak Cybertronian in their conversations.
- The Autobots are their true enemies.
- This is their first incarnation in which the faction is disbanded. Their return in the sequel will probably be replaced by another faction. However, until the new series airs in 2015, further information will be given.
- This is the first incarnation of the faction that has generics make up the majority of their army. The main characters in this series act as supervisors, officers or commanders.
- Robots in Disguise reveals that the Decepticons in the sequel are prisoners who crash landed answering some of the bizarre questions as to how they got there. Though further information will be given when this series airs.
- Robert Orci implied when he revealed this show that the Predacons would be the main antagonists. Although Season 1 does confirm the Decepticon escapees as the antagonists, Orci's implication and the fact that videos and revelations about the prisoners indicate they couldn't plan a breakout does raise the possibility that the Predacons caused them to crash.
|Airachnid | Breakdown | Dreadwing | Makeshift | Megatron | Knock Out | Shockwave | Skyquake | Soundwave | Starscream|
|Vehicon (Decepticon Miner) | Insecticon | Terrorcon|
|Hardshell | Laserbeak|